Friday, February 12, 2010

Mandy and the Cookie Monster



What a great day! I have finally made it back into Lucas' good books (Lucas is a big Daddy fan). The more his sister can do and the more attention she needs (i.e. feeding) the more he seems to demand my attention too. The added benefit is he isn't holing up in his bedroom playing with cars; he wants to be with me and do whatever I am doing. So I took advantage of it today. 
Since my foot is still bumbed up (thankfully not broken), we hung out in the house today. Lea had 2 long naps; 2 hours and 3 hours (!) so Lucas and I had some quality time. What did we do? What all good Canadian Mom's with a sweet tooth do - we baked cookies! Now up until now Lucas has not lasted longer than 5 minutes with me in the kitchen. 


But today he helped from the word go and stuck right through until he was allowed to like the bowl! He measured, stirred and taste tested like a master baker. I was so proud of him and me too. Do you know how much patience it takes to bake with a 3 year old? Imagine filling the measuring cup up with the tablespoon. Slowly. I think it took like 10 minutes just to measure the first cup of sugar! Turns out there are a lot of ingredients in cookies. But he did it and the kitchen didn't get too messy. Lea was busy crawling around for the first two ingredients, so she cleaned up some of that :-)   


No need to worry about the quality of our cookies. Lucas quickly discovered that the best part about baking cookies is the taste testing. Especially once the chocolate chips go in! I'm surprised any made it into the cookies - "just one more" he kept saying.


By the way, thanks again Jeff for the recipe. Our final product for some reason doesn't look as good as your cookies did (must be because we don't have Crisco) but they were definately yummy. After Lucas' second cookie I had to put them out of reach for fear the silly monkey would gobble them all down when I left the room to change Lea's diaper. Turns out that boy sure can eat a lot when it is part of the "sweets" food group. Like Mother like Son :-)





No comments:

Post a Comment